Pinot Noir reigns among red grape plantings

Pinot Noir reigns among red grape plantings

Pinot Noir is the most widely planted red grape in New Zealand, making up 70% of our red grape vines and just over 15% of our total vineyard area. Nearly 85% of that Pinot Noir is planted in the South Island, though it is worth remembering that a significant portion of that is given over to the production of sparkling wines. Marlborough leads the way with the greatest area devoted to Pinot Noir, followed by Central Otago, Wairarapa, Waipara, Hawke’s Bay and Nelson.

Scroll to top
简体中文繁體中文English